Ethel Hill is a lifetime member of St. Stephen’s AME Zion Church in Morehead City. “I grew up in Morehead City, went away, came back, and I’m still here. So, I love my church.” When Hurricane Florence approached the coast in 2018, Ethel and seven family members decided to ride out the storm in their family’s church – rather than in homes much closer to the water. They couldn’t predict the story that would unfold. During the height of the storm, the church began to break down around them.
Flood Zone is a special investigation reporting on flooding in Coastal Carolina communities. The podcast is a project of Shoresides and Working Narratives.
Support the show (https://shoresides.org/support/)
Want to Help:
- Donate – To The Good Shepherd Center to fund housing assistance programs.
- Advocate – Call NC Senators: Richard Burr 202-224-3154, and Thom Tillis 704-509-9087 tell them to advocate for H.R. 2721 The Pathways out of Poverty Act, that would expand funding for temporary assistance programs.
- Shelter – For temporary shelter call The Good Shepherd Center 910-763-4424.
- Financial Assistance – For help with Financial Assistance call Lloyd Stiles from Coastal Community Action at 252-342-4831.
- Other Resources – Consult this list. It provides a guide for general resources as well as resources specific to Craven County.